First major failure… Yay!

by shadfurman

So, I retested the last cell I made, open air… Nothing. I think the aluminum foil was damp. I made a larger one this morning. I glued a paper towel to a piece of aluminum, cut out strips and progressively wrapped pennies up separated by paper towel.

image

image

Utter failure, I’m only getting 275 mV in tap water, adding salt made it worse. Only 125 uA. It’s possible my meter is malfunctioning, it’s a cheap harbor freight one.
image

But I think the pennies moved and are shorting inside. This is a little more complicated than I’m looking for, kids are supposed to be able to do this, and it didn’t work so…. On to something else.

Advertisements